Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi

TP Link do a splitter that outputs 5V DC @ 2 amps, 9V @ 1 amp and 12V at 1 amp.

Just need a cable to go from a 2.5mm DC plug to MicroUSB :-)

Rob

On 9 August 2014 20:27:14 BST, Mark Evans <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/08/14 18:52, bad apple wrote:
Ok, another request for recommendations (this one will probably be best
answered by Gordon I suspect).

I'm only a few years late, but I finally need to buy myself a couple of
Pis for various hackjobs and overdue projects. Believe it or not, I
still haven't even seen one yet, let alone hacked on one.

Not wanting to waste time or money, I'm keen to avoid arseing about with
random flaky power supplies, dodgy SD cards or unsupported USB hubs and
I don't mind paying extra to get that flawless, no hassle "everything
works out of the box" experience. I want a Pi (or 5) with:

# a nice little case, although I don't mind ordering this separately
# decent compatible SD card, at least 16Gb
# USB hub that will work immediately
# no hassle PSU that will drive everything correctly

You could go for
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SC13457
http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc-rp002-blk/enclosure-raspberry-pi-black/dp/SC13460
http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/t5582dv/psu-raspberry-pi-5v-2a-uk-euro/dp/SC13463

Though that's only going to give you an 8G micro SD card.

Since the B+ has 4 USB ports you may not need a USB hub.
http://cpc.farnell.com/dynamode/usb-h70-1a2-0/hub-usb-2-0-7-port-with-ac-adaptor/dp/CS21973
This recommended for the A&B so should be fine with the B+

I'm only interested in model B's which I understand have just been
refreshed, so I don't want the old model. Recommendations for suitable
USB wifi dongles that play nicely with Pis would be appreciated too,
although most of them will probably be wired.

http://cpc.farnell.com/the-pi-hut/100008/wifi-dongle-raspberry-pi-802-11n/dp/SC13270

With CPC "free" delivery typically turns out to be next working day anyway.

Is there any possibility of driving these things with PoE by the way?
I've got a bunch of expensive PoE 24 port gigabit switches that so far
are only driving a couple of Cisco VOIP phones.

Assuming the switches will do PoE mode B you'd need to split off the
pairs 4&5 (blue) and pairs 7&8 (brown) to feed to a regulator which will
knock the 44-48V down to the 5V (on micro USB) the Pi needs. Together
with a 25k resistor between these two pairs.
Unlikely to be something you can buy.