Re: [LUG] Microsoft v Linux

On 6 Aug 2014, at 11:19, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.whymicrosoft.com/Pages/linux.aspx
>
> Microsoft blurb: Microsoft has built a comprehensive next-generation server
> platform that spans on-premises infrastructure and cloud services.  We're helping
> you realize added value from your existing Linux investments through Hyper-V
> virtualization and System Center management tools, and we have worked with our
> partners to enable Ubuntu, OpenLogic, CentOS, Oracle Linux, and openSUSE and SUSE
> Linux Enterprise Server to run with high performance on the Microsoft Azure cloud.
>
> However, sometimes your solution is focused solely on server-side operating
> systems, and that's where Linux falls short.  Windows Server gives you the highly
> manageable, secure, cost-effective, cloud-ready platform you need to support your
> company's innovative IT goals.
>
> -----
>
> As the friend who sent me the link said, a mixture of outright lies and hilarity -
> Microsoft security is better than Linux?  Since when?

:) Azure is actually quite a nice platform for high end web ops and I've had no
issues with security since our services when live.

but you just can't compare azure roles with VM's or classic windows or linux , they
are completely different beasts.

and I expect a VM is no more or less secure hosted on Azure vs local hardware or any
other VM infrastructure.

but you ought to consider Win7, Win8 and WinSRV-R2-2013 are a big improvement and
ship with good firewall tech and good setting defaults, ruling out the majority of
pre win7 noob sec issues.

So win bashing isn't quite as clear cut as it used to be. The real issue is now who
has the best vm layer,  and Hyper-V has improved a lot and the server os has been
pared down a lot, especially in fundamental installs, which are basically just a
kernel and core libs. Its impressive and they are learning all the time from the
linux playbook of lean and fast.

If they keep this pace of improvement linux will have a fight on its hands.