Re: [LUG] Updated data for FTTC in Devon & Somerset

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Simon Waters wrote:

On 31/07/14 11:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:

The effort to upgrade the cabinet that feeds me which supplies about
20-30 houses won't be considered economically viable.

Woodbury - under evaluation. Given we were pretty much last with ADSL....

BT Engineer friend said that these days they don't need the exchanges
like Woodbury, it would make more economic sense to drop in a couple of
cabinets and run a fibre to Exeter from them, and sell off the exchange,
but I can't see that happening any time soon either.

More or less true - when you can make a PBX that can handle 200 extensions in a 150mm square box by 10mm high (analog equipment excepted), who needs a huge building... All you need is a bit of power and a big box...

Gordon