Re: [LUG] usb multiboot iso

On Sun, 2014-07-27 at 01:31 +0100, bad apple wrote:
> I've been meaning to set one of these up for a long time - an 8Gb+ usb
> drive with a bunch of distro isos in a folder that a bootloader
> (probably grub2) can use to kickstart one of the many, many installers I
> need. I'll want the netinstall isos for Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, SUSE,
> Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, systemrescuecd, GRML, Kali, etc. Bonus points
> if it can boot Windows installer isos, Solaris, *BSD, XenServer, ESXi
> and all the other stuff I need.
>
> I know that grub2 can chainload almost everything and boot isos, so if
> necessary I'll do it myself the hard way but that's going to be a big
> fat headache to setup and a PITA to maintain. The internet tells me that
> there are loads of tools already to do this (xboot, yumi, etc) but
> they're mostly windows based (no idea what that is about as they mostly
> come from a site calling itself "pendrivelinux"), not up to date and
> limited in that they don't support many distributions/systems.
>
> Before I roll up my sleeves and spend hours scripting this from scratch,
> has anyone else been down this road before and done it for me? If it
> wasn't for the fact that this tool will be needed for offline usage I'd
> just dd ipxe to a usb stick and netboot off an install server. Plus it
> would be an incredibly useful tool no matter how you look at it. A 64Gb+
> usb stick with some persistent storage, room to dump backups to and
> almost every iso you can think of in your pocket would cheer up most
> sysadmins after all.
>
> Yours hopefully

Just a wondering thought (do you need to *boot* different distros), ie
how big or small can you make a std Deb system with just Vbox and as
many Virtual machines as you can in the size of the stick?
Probably not what you want but I would boot on anything with enough Ram.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
A dedicated Linux user