Re: [LUG] sources woes

On 10/07/14 18:45, George Parker wrote:
> Sorry for the long story. Section 1 is background, section 2 is the
> current problem.
>
> 1.  Having been away for 6 weeks consorting with the French and Spanish,
> on my return I thought my aging desktop could do with a face-lift. (Nice
> to get back to reasonably fast broadband and computer after 6 weeks on a
> tablet and smartphone on very unreliable wifi.)  I put in a 1 TB drive
> and another 4 Gb RAM, partitioned the new drive and copied the /root and
> /home partitions from the old drive to the new with DD. (Running Mint 16)
> Disconnected the old HD and no joy.  I found that this was due to the
> old drive root being sda3 and the new one sda1 thus confusing Grub.
> Sorted that and decided to apply Mr Meowski's infallible method of
> upgrading as I find Mint 17 has appeared. This worked but with one or
> two funnies which I haven't the details of now. But I got it working and
> it ran for a couple of hours OK but coming back to it I found a blank
> screen and the HD running constantly.  After waiting an hour I reset and
> the system was screwed, no boot, can't find an operating system, a day
> of trying this and that using a laptop to get info off the net.  I
> disconnected the new HD and reconnected the old HD and lo and behold,
> that was borked too. I eventually found that there was a hardware fault,
> processor problem I think, which had screwed the root somehow. Give up
> time.
>
> 2. I have another computer, no working HD, so I fitted the new drive to
> that. I didn't have a copy of the Mint 17 iso so I installed Mint 16
> from a cd to sda1, sda2 being the original home directory. Everything
> worked so I then went to upgrade to Mint 17 using the Mr Meowski method.
> But the sources list would not work,  There were in fact no entries in
> /etc/apt/sources.list, only a line saying
> # deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 16 _qiana_ - Release i386 20131128]/ trusty
> contrib main non-free    which I assume is from the cd install.
> So, I went into synaptic and updated the repositories from petra to
> qiana and saucy to trusty, came out of synaptic and ran apt-get
> dist-upgrade, which it did.  So, I now had a fully working installation
> of Mint 17 which I proceeded to embellish with all the useful cruft
> which I can't live without. Worked OK except that I can't seem to
> install a working copy of Vbox.
> I think it is down to my sources.list (which now has a line I put in deb
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian qiana contrib) but
> doesn't work from that either.  I believe that the problem is the
> sources this damned installation is working from.  Where are they? I've
> had a hunt but can't find them.  Any suggestions please.
>
> George

Your first problem could have been completely avoided by using
/dev/disk/by-uuid style paths in fstab rather than the old fashioned
/dev/sdX notation - this is highly recommended in modern distros and I
thought it was actually the default for most of them by now, especially
Ubuntu. I'd be surprised if it couldn't have been fixed by booting any,
but preferably a Mint/Debian/Ubuntu, live Linux CD or USB on the borked
system, chrooting into the on-disk install and fixing it from there.
"sudo grub-install /dev/sda" is usually enough to do it once you've got
all your filesystems mounted correctly (including bind mounts).

No idea what happened the second time around to bork your system - from
sources.list only having that one entry beginning "# deb cdrom..." I'd
be tempted to guess you were still actually running in the live
environment, although that doesn't seem too likely. Here is a full
sources.list from my current Mint 17 VM if you want to compare:

ghost@mint:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ qiana main upstream import backport romeo
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ qiana main upstream import
backport romeo #Added by software-properties
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main restricted universe
multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty partner

For VirtualBox, "qiana" isn't recognised as a valid distro version as
Oracle use the Ubuntu family ones instead - try this:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian trusty contrib

Don't forget to import their key, etc.

Did you remember to do a memtest on your new RAM? I never used to
bother, but after getting bitten repeatedly by shoddy quality memory I
know memtest all my new RAM as a matter of principle. I'd SMART check
your 'new' drive as well, always worth checking to make sure they
haven't cheekily shipped you a refurb (never seen this in person, but
there are many, many horror stories on the internet).

Cheers