Re: [LUG] moveable VM

On 08/07/14 18:14, bad apple wrote:
On 08/07/14 17:50, Tom wrote:
Just (shock horror) about to buy (license for a year) some software that
(for licensing needs) wants my machine name and mac address. I'm
guessing I could probably move it around to different machines on a vm
with the above settings?
Tom te tom te tom

Not even that:

sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:yy:zz:11:22:33

will change your MAC on a linux box to whatever you want it to be. It's
similarly easy to change/spoof your MAC on OSX or Windows as well.
Obviously changing the hostname is even easier on any platform.

Regards

It requires the machine name as well which pops up in a few files alas (/etc/hosts and bloody apache config files and ....)
Tom te tom te tom