Re: [LUG] ChromeOS / ChromiumOS in Virtualbox

On 27/06/14 14:03, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get ChromeOS or ChromiumOS to play nicely in Virtualbox.

The latest Hexxeh build of ChromiumOS works (graphically speaking), however it is somewhat old now. None of the routine builds of ChromiumOS from ArnoldTheBat work graphically. They boot fine, I can SSH in or switch to VT2 and login at the command line, but there's no sign of a GUI.

I have found a lovely set of scripts that aims to pull a stock ChromeOS (from Google's own online recovery tool) and overwrite ChromiumOS in the process. It works, however there is also no sign of a functioning GUI under ChromeOS.

I am pretty sure it is simply a lack of appropriate Xorg drivers/libraries/modules, but I can't seem to find sensible documentation on what virtual graphics card Virtualbox provides - most things seem to point me towards installing VirtualboxAdditions (which won't work without some serious tinkering as doing so requires the virtual machine to build its own modules, etc, and Chrom[e|ium]OS by default doesn't have an environment that supports doing this) which I'm not bothered about doing at this stage... just getting a GUI running on a recent build would be nice.

So, anyone got any pointers?

Grant. :)

Grant

I've had a go at this recently. In VMWare.

I could never get ArnoldTheBat's stuf to install/work. Hexxeh's stuff worked fine as far as starting up to a GUI but I couldn't use it usefully as the browser and Store apps were too old - with no upgrade options.

The ChromeOS conversion scripts I tried got as far as downloading the recovery image but always failed to install. I don't think there was enough space on Hexxeh's VMWare image. What scripts did you use? They may be different to mine...

I gave up. Life's too short...

Martin