Re: [LUG] SSD drives

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 17:05 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I may be getting a new laptop and one possibility is one with a Solid
> State Drive. I have read many conflicting reports about them. Does
> anyone on the list have any experience of them please? I know the size
> in Gbs will be much smaller but that is not really important as I don't
> use very much.
>
> I am just wondering how reliable they are nowadays, and if they really
> do have advantages such as speed and no noise.

Likewise I recently took the plunge and have bought a Lenovo laptop with
an SSD. I have been using an SSD in my (home) PC for a couple of years
now, and the disk is (obviously?) quieter but also the PC is much faster
in booting up and shutting down. On the home PC I have the O/S on the
SSD, and /var and /home on a HDD. I've had no problems with the SSD at
all (not sure who made it) - the laptop has a Samsung SSD and so far no
problems.

As someone else mentioned, with the Lenovo it is possible to install a
second drive by using a caddy (an 'ultrabay' I think they call it). I
have a CD/DVD writer in there, so no room for a second (HDD) drive.

I would say use an SSD if you have the choice.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK