Re: [LUG] SSD and Trim

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:40:34 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Read here:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim

Have now had a look at that.

> That's an awful lot of maybes and perhapses, all to justify an odd and
> very conservative decision. Everyone on Linux correctly ignores this
> frankly bizarre approach and simply adds the "discard" option to the
> relevant line in fstab: this is known as the online approach, and is
> the only one I have ever known anyone use. I routinely nuke entire
> massive (20Gb+) working source code directories full of the many tiny
> little files that apparently cause these problems from my SSDs and
> it's never been slow - quite the opposite, in fact.

So I checked my Xubuntu 14.04. Although I do not have an SSD on this
computer (I will have on my new laptop) a cron.weekly job is set up
ready (/etc/cron.weekly/fstrim). So, if I understand you correctly, I
should  stop this from running, by commenting out the relevant lines or
perhaps by renaming the file. Then I add the discard option to fstab.
Do I then still need to run fstrim manually as and when?

thanks,

Neil