Re: [LUG] Degoogling

On Tue, 20 May 2014 11:54:57 +0100, Philip Hudson
<phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Here's my list of links for liberating yourself from Google. Please
>contribute any more you may have.
>**
>[[http://blaise.ca/blog/2012/07/30/degooglifying-part-iii-web-search/][Degooglifying
>pt 3: Search]]

I think search is the only issue really probably because all the other
services are things Google added on to make it look like they are not a
one product company.

DuckDuckGo is okay as far as it goes (nothing like far enough at
present) but at some stage in the future they are going to need to make
money and then they will need to take advertising and to make that work
will require some kind of tracking. I use DDG if I am searching for
something where the answer is likely to be on StackOverflow or
Wikipedia where it is okay but otherwise it is pretty hit-and-miss.

Seeks is dead (I guess?) judging by the frequency of updates. Anyway
ranking results by "consensus" is never going to work when a company
can hire thousands of people cheaply to tip consensus their way.

Yacy doesn't seem to have moved forward much in the two years since
this article was written. Reading through the forums there still seem
to be plenty of people having problems getting it to run reliably and
the results returned from their demo peer are pretty poor. Does anyone
have any experience with running a peer and is it worth it?

Are there any other floss projects doing interesting things in search
and looking like they might be getting somewhere?

Kevin