[LUG] Gparted - some questions

My current distro is Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. I have tested the latest LST
version 14.04 in VBox and it works fine. But I need to sort out my HD
first. Here is a link to a screenshot of my HD.

http://www.pamneil.com/temp/Screenshot.png

As you can see it is fully allocated.

sda1 an old version of Linux
sda6 my current distro Xubuntu 12.04
sda2 another old version of Linux.

Here is Plan A

Stage 1

Delete sda1
delete sda2
Resize sda6

This should give me plenty of unallocated space.

Stage 2

Install the new version as a dual boot with v12.04.

This way I keep v12.04 so that I can check up on it as I need to. I do
have a back up of my home folder on an external HD but this is to make
extra sure.

I notice that sda1 and sda2 are the only primary partitions. Can I
assume that v14.04 will install as a primary and anyway does it matter?

Can anyone tell me if this plan is sensible (or even feasible)? Any
help gratefully received.

If I am advised that my ideas are silly I do have a Plan B.

Thanks

Neil