Re: [LUG] BBC Micro anyone anywhere anytime

On 18 May 2014 11:27, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17/05/14 22:35, Philip Hudson wrote:
>>
>> On 17 May 2014 21:34, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, but I've programmed in C on both. Can't say I noticed any difference.
>>
>> Ever tried the built-in (reluctantly, I'd say) C compiler on a VAX?
>>
> What was wrong with that? Mind you I learned my C on that - and a Superbrain
> with an EIL problem.

If you *learned* C on that, it was probably fine -- though I bet the
K&R book wasn't your tutorial. The trouble with it came for anyone who
learned their C anywhere else. There were at the time two "standards",
colloquially known as K&R (after the book) and ANSI (after the, er,
standard). There was also Borland's Turbo C, which was widely
understood to be in a world of its own, and not for malicious or
incompetent reasons, though I think in the end even Borland admitted
they shouldn't have changed the language as they did. Anyway, the VAX
C compiler would not compile a non-trivial program that compiled on C
compilers for either K&R or ANSI C on all other platforms. This was
late '80s, early '90s. My example was a dumb tree for a dictionary
with recursive-descent search and insert functions which I co-wrote
with my brother for a college assignment he had. No external
libraries, nothing but stdlib and stdio. Compiled and ran as expected
without tweaking on Mac, DOS, SunOS and Dynix; took hours and hours of
porting on VMS. I don't know what the solution was in the end, I had
to head off and leave it to my brother.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63