Re: [LUG] BBC Micro anyone anywhere anytime

On 17/05/14 21:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 May 2014, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 17 May 2014 08:21, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
oh the 68000 - if we'd had that rather than the 8088 in the damn IBM PC we
wouldnt still be in the 1980's with software!

Can I get an amen?

Not from me.

Anyone else programmed in assembler on both x86 and M680x0? Sheer hell
v pure heaven. God I miss the 68K.

No, but I've programmed in C on both. Can't say I noticed any difference.

The only thing that has held the world back more is of course as we
all know the Microsoft OS crudopoly.

Not sure I fully agree with that. Both Apple and MS were doing their thing at the same time (lets say late 80's, early 90's) but MS seemed to have the better marketing and cheaper hardware, and of-course us Brit's didn't even bother to buy British solution(s) either, especially when there was a very good and viable alternative in the emerging business market.

Gordon

Gordon - you didn't notice any difference? The sheer hell of anything (data) bigger than 64k on x86 vs 0 problem with M6080x0? Almost every program on windows had problems with out of bounds access until windows NT came out. I watched that reduce some quite good programmers to tears and worse and extend development times by orders of magnitude.
Tom te tom te tom