Re: [LUG] Did the NSA backdoor *your* router?

On Wed, 14 May 2014 20:36:47 +0000, Martijn Grooten
<martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:54:53AM +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
>> More reason if any were needed to favor and demand FLOS hardware and
>> firmware (FLOSHF?)
>>
>> Glenn Greenwald: how the NSA tampers with US-made internet routers
>> http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/12/glenn-greenwald-nsa-tampers-us-internet-routers-snowden
>
>I would say that the take away from that particular story is: in the
>past twelve months, we've learned the importance of FLOS hardware and
>firmware; now we know that this doesn't guarantee lack of tampering.

I'm all for open hardware because choice is good but unless you have a
chip fab in your garden shed and build everything from the ground up
you are still going to end up having to trust someone.

When you are dealing with branches of government that can bug your
house, listen to your calls, intercept your post, follow you on cctv,
track your mobile location and see anything you do online then it's
going to take more than a bit of open hardware to keep them out.

Kevin