Re: [LUG] Backup in Linux

On 27/04/14 21:43, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, Julian Hall wrote:

Hi All,

I've been trying different GUI based programs for backup and had most luck with 'luckyBackup', however it's not /that/ lucky because no matter what Exclusions I give it, it keeps trying to add the content of drives that are currently mounted when I've told it to exclude them. I had a go with dd tonight but got this error after a few minutes:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda8 of=/media/julian/ARTEMIS/systembackup.img
dd: reading ‘/dev/sda8’: Input/output error
17130448+0 records in
17130448+0 records out
8770789376 bytes (8.8 GB) copied, 257.292 s, 34.1 MB/s

/dev/sda8 is the root of my Mint installation, ARTEMIS is a USB external HD.

Should I try 'luckyBackup' again but with other drives unmounted?

IMO, You should try some good old-fashioned command-line stuff.

But firstly - dd - it's trying to do a block copy of every single block on the /dev/sda8 partition - whether they're part of a file or not - not always the best way to 'backup' something - and in this case it's reporting an error - that means you have a bad block on your disk. The trouble is, right now you don't know if that block is inside a file, or unallocated...
Ahh that explains the confusion in my reply to Kevin. I don't want a block copy, I just want the files which is why I tried luckyBackup, because that's what it does. I am now running rsync according to your instructions :) I will let you know how it goes :)

Julian