Re: [LUG] Backup in Linux

On 27/04/14 20:24, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On 27 Apr 2014 20:11, "Julian Hall" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying different GUI based programs for backup and had most luck with 'luckyBackup', however it's not /that/ lucky because no matter what Exclusions I give it, it keeps trying to add the content of drives that are currently mounted when I've told it to exclude them. I had a go with dd tonight but got this error after a few minutes:
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/sda8 of=/media/julian/ARTEMIS/systembackup.img
> dd: reading ‘/dev/sda8’: Input/output error
> 17130448+0 records in
> 17130448+0 records out
> 8770789376 bytes (8.8 GB) copied, 257.292 s, 34.1 MB/s
>
> /dev/sda8 is the root of my Mint installation, ARTEMIS is a USB external HD.
>
> Should I try 'luckyBackup' again but with other drives unmounted?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

What is it you are trying to backup? Where/what are you trying to backup to? What do you plan to do regarding restoring from said backup should the worst happen?

All these and more will determine the way to achieve a backup/restore system that meets your requirements.

Grant

I'm trying to create a backup of my Mint installation so that should it all go belly up I can simply restore from the backup.  /dev/sda8 is the partition / is mounted on, /media/julian/ARTEMIS is my dedicated backup drive, USB connected.

Julian