Re: [LUG] OpenSSL 1.0.1 "Heartbleed" vulnerability

On 08/04/14 17:26, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 05:04:27PM +0100, bad apple wrote:
>> Gah... that was entirely my fault: between noscript and request-policy,
>> I hadn't seen it (it wasn't loading) on the page. Had to enable some
>> blogger* cross domain requests and up it popped. Sorry about that.
>
> Here's an actual proof-of-concept: https://www.mattslifebytes.com/?p=533
>
> It works.
>
> Martijn.

Oh dear, the decent PoC arrived even more quickly than expected... at
least some extended testing can be done now. Sidejacking session IDs is
now obviously a walk in the park, it's Blacksheep all over again but
server side and semi-random this time.

Whilst I'm waiting on interminable WSUS configs to do their thing on
prepping the Windows Updates, I've set up a batch of vulnerable VM
templates and am fuzzing them with large selections of traffic capture
replays whilst hammering them with the linked tool. I'll leave it for
several hours before I check properly but I'm yet to see anything other
than webserver related leaks, as expected: I'm still to be convinced
we're going to see SSH key recovery via this mechanism.

But I may be wrong, and will happily admit so if the evidence comes out
in the next few days.

I bloody wish Google (or any other company with a huge Linux footprint)
would actually put their hands in the pockets, splash a couple of $10m
notes and hire a crack team of security bods to work 24/7 on auditing
critical open source libraries and figuring out how to do deterministic
builds in a non-teeth pulling manner. You'd have thought such chump
change for such a critical security assurance would not only be worth it
financially for them but would be a PR coup dream.

Regards