Re: [LUG] Cloud Storage

On 6 April 2014 17:14, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For all its faults everyone I know who networks Linux/Unix boxes
> seriously at the file system level uses NFS as the de-facto standard, or
> more modern distributed or clustered file systems for high availability,
> or clustering systems.

Simon and bad should be taken as authoritative on this over anything I
might say. I last worked in an all-*n*x shop (all Solaris) a long time
ago, and even then file server admin was not officially part of my
job. While we had NFS home directory shares that were trouble-free
because they were professionally admined, for all ad-hoc stuff I found
NFS so stinkingly buggy and fragile and unreliable and slow and
high-maintenance and undermaintained that I would always use anything
else (including netatalk, the FLOSS AppleTalk Filing System server) in
preference. So it may just be outworn prejudice talking when I
recommend Samba over NFS; I've never been disappointed by Samba itself
(ignoring its damnable web configurator) enough to bother
re-investigating NFS.

And yes, I do squirm at recommending a Microsoft standard. I take
comfort from the fact that the FLOSS Samba project sets the de facto
standard, with MS itself now playing catch-up. Nice to see them lose
in a straight fight with FLOSS.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63