Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 29/03/14 11:31, Rob Beard wrote:
+1 to this

To be fair with my older kids I tend to trust them, they know that I will do spot checks on their phones or computers if I feel the need.

Their mobile data connections are restricted anyway and I have parental control software installed on their phones (not that I check it much, only really once when my daughter was accused of sending nasty texts which the app proved otherwise).

With my youngest daughter I supervise what she does, mainly it's just playing with Moshi Monsters or the CBBC web site.

When it comes to things like games consoles it's not rocket science to setup parental controls, heck IIRC on my Wii U it asks if the owner wants to setup parental controls for each user :-)

Rob

It is about parental responsibility.

I also agree with Rob it's about trust, two ways they need to be able to confide if they see or find anything that worries them, and not feel they are going to get in trouble, sometimes it Just happens,

How many times have people here found something they were not looking for, I found some useful python code a while back, wasn't even looking for it. So you can accidentally find material on the net, (useful or otherwise)., It is how you deal with that, which is the key.

Paul