Re: [LUG] VirtualBox 4.3.8 Issues [Resolved] [Again]

On 26/03/14 19:37, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>> About time... does nobody actually do unit testing anymore or is
>> > everyone on the Google it's-never-leaving-beta and
>> > endusers-are-the-QA-dept tip these days?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
> I will revisit the problem, and advise.

To answer my own question, considering VirtualBox is now under the
auspices of Oracle, of course they don't bother actually testing
anything. 2 days after 4.3.10 there is another point release today
(4.3.10-93012) without a changelog so I can't even tell what they broke
this time.

The nasty bug we were getting on Gentoo/Slack/Puppy VMs turned out to be
this one: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12748

It was a failure to handle MSRs correctly apparently. I did file a bug
report which unsurprisingly they didn't bother to register on the
bugtracker (to give them some benefit of the doubt, they probably
considered it a duplicate - an email to that effect would have been nice
though).

Regards