Re: [LUG] Zero length files during update: Mint 16

On 24/03/14 23:31, bad apple wrote:
On 24/03/14 23:10, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

Quick question. Using the Update Manager in Mint 16, if I click for
details while it's downloading files prior to update I notice that there
are quite a few that say 0B for length.  As nothing seems to get broken
I've assumed it's normal but I wondered /why/ it's happening.

Kind regards,

Julian

Wow, you actually use a graphical updater tool? I always do updates in a
terminal regardless of OS flavour, you'll miss diagnostic information
otherwise. If something serious fails then the
Fedora/Debian/Mint/SuSE/etc GUI updaters will only show you the briefest
summary of the most major error(s) whereas in a shell you'll get the
full bloody details...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I'd put it in your .bashrc as an alias to save calling it from history
or CTRL+R reverse searching for it every time.

To answer your question, that's apt grabbing the list of updates in a
bunch of release files containing hashes, file versions, etc and the
size field indicates the amount of each downloaded to your machine.
Frequently things like the translations don't change very often, and apt
is smart enough to not bother downloading them: hence the 0B returned.

It'll already be time to upgrade to Mint 17 in a month or two.

Cheers

Indeed it is, and I have your handy upgrade notes which which to do it.. just changing the source from Petra to whatever they call the next one.. Queenie? If they keep up with the girl's names :)

Cheers,

Julian