Re: [LUG] Nvidia on Debian Testing

No problems here, 560ti and what ever distribution I throw at it. I fear to comment further because I always end up looking stupid.

On 23 Mar 2014 21:28, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22/03/14 20:32, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 06:08:32PM +0000, bad apple wrote:
>

>> Nvidia really have been making a mess of their binary driver
>> distribution on Debian/Ubuntu/etc recently... Phil posted a weirdly
>> prescient and cryptic error message relating to this months ago which I
>> initially ridiculed and then promptly ran into myself several times over
>> the next few months.
>>
>> Anyway, presuming the error log is correctly identifying your GPU
>> chipset (NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a GPU) then it is no longer
>> supported* by nvidia-current and you need to use an older legacy release.
>>
>> sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
>> sudo apt-get install nvidia-304-updates
>>
>> Wait for dkms to do it's thing and reboot.
>>
>> Alternatively, as you're running testing anyway and must therefore be
>> brave and skilled enough to fix broken things, use the experimental
>> version instead:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> * see:
>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/304.88/README/supportedchips.html
>>
> Many thanks
>
> I can now get X windows working, still can't get Nvidia drivers working:
> back to Nouveau. Will try again next weekend

As a follow up, I had a look around some of the computers I admin to
find some more bare metal Debian installs with Nvidia drivers and
immediately found the same problem.

Candidate 1 was running Wheezy (with backports enabled) with nvidia-glx
on two 7800GTs, which are recent enough to still be supported by current
304.88. After a dist-upgrade it booted with a trashed X. Upgraded again
to backported 319.82, just as bad. Purged nvidia* and installed both
recommended 304* and latest 344* binary drivers direct from Nvidia -
well, tried to, which revealed part of the problem. GCC versions for the
linux-image kernel build and the nvidia drivers build need to match
major versions and on Wheezy, they don't (3.6 vs 3.7). Fiddling with
dkms confs, non-dkms builds and GCC versions didn't help - on a fully
updated Wheezy working Nvidia drivers from Debian or Nvidia seem to be
currently completely broken. I'd be interested to hear from anyone on
the list who has a completely updated Wheezy box with working Nvidia
graphics (and is not on nouveau) to see what kernel/nvidia-glx versions
they have functional.

I 'fixed' this machine by upgrading it to Jessie, which is what you are
running I believe. It's currently running kernel 3.13-1-amd64 and the
Debian provided nvidia drivers/tools, all at 331.49. I have *not*
enabled backports on this machine yet, and don't plan to. Interestingly,
when I installed the latest liqourix kernel dkms failed to build nvidia
against it, which is the first time I've seen that happen, and not a
good sign.

Similarly, Nvidia drivers or perhaps the distro packaging of them have
definitely taken a noticeable dive recently and I've long since given up
on the Ubuntu provided nvidia drivers ever working with my custom (but
completely Ubuntu-rules compliant) kernel again and have just been using
the Nvidia binary ones, usually the betas. No problems so far and they
at least manage to build themselves automatically with dkms.

This is why I universally recommend Intel graphics for Linux machines
now, unless they need serious graphical firepower.

Good luck getting your nvidia drivers working again,

Regards