Re: [LUG] SIP test call?

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Philip Hudson wrote:

Anyone available and set up to give me a test call on
sip:philhudson@xxxxxxxxx before 10:00 today please? Fri 14/3.

OK, it's after 10am now, but did you expect that to work?

(ok, it should)

But you expect people with SIP phones on their desks to actually bother to type in philhudson@xxxxxxxxx into their phones web interface and hope it connects? Or use some rinky dinky little desktop application with desk speaker and microphone with bad echo, or a badly fitting headset...

My suggestion to you is to give up. Really. Just give up. You want people to call you, then give them a number.

I run and sell VoIP systems and I simply can't be bothered with this geeky little sip uri thing anymore. You want me to call you then give me a number.

Oh and the ekiga softphone is really buggy and resource heavy. Or was the last time I tried. Get some decent software like Skype.

Oh, and welcome to the world of VoIP SPAM. Since it's free for spammers to call you, then they will. Or at least their robots will.

Gordon