Re: [LUG] [OT] European Parliament stands up to US spooks

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 09:59:20PM +0000, Mark Evans wrote:
> Are there any European governments not involved in this? Regardless of
> what politicans might try to claim in public.

They all probably are involved in one way or another, as they all have
intelligence agencies. How far these are crossing the lines will depend,
on the culture within the agency, the political climate and on where
those lines are drawn in the first place. And of course on how much
traffic they see that can be spied upon in the first place.

Note that most people are OK with the fact that countries have
intelligence agancies. To paraphrase Bruce Schneier: if the NSA was
found to spy on Al Q'aeda and North Korea, no one would be minded.

What I have noticed, and what prompted me to reply to Philip's post, is
that a lot of people are worried about the effects on their own country.
In the US it's about an agency supposed to spy only on foreign nationals
suddenly found to include its own citizens too. In the rest of the world
it's about the NSA, while mostly ignoring what their own intelligence
agencies have been doing, or intend to do.

Note that GHCQ has been found to break into the servers of one of the
major Belgian Internet and phone providers. I don't think it has been
a particularly big story here in the UK.

Imagine the public outrage if a French intelligence agency had been
hacking into the servers of BT so that it could tap some of the
backbones of the Internet.

Martijn.