Re: [LUG] Replicant devs find Samsung Galaxy backdoor

Excellent discussion, thanks. I agree with the commenter who says the
author is under-excited. He seems to be saying in his point 1 that
absence of evidence is evidence of absence, which is just nonsense, as
he ought to know, and which misses the point that it is vulnerability
to exploits that matters, not existence-proven exploits. All of his
remaining rebuttal seems overly complacent, especially the absurd
claim that files on the SD card are not sensitive. It's such a poor
rebuttal that I wonder why they went to him and why they published it.
I guess he makes one point about which the Replicant devs could and
should have been clearer, and that is that an exploit would run as a
non-admin user with presumably limited permissions in most
directories, but as those permissions would often include reading, and
as other classes of exploits might elevate permissions, it is scant
comfort.

There is a real vulnerability here. Samsung inserted it and only they
can fix it, thanks to the wonders of proprietary software. It is
entirely fair to say that you're better off running Replicant (or
stock Android).

Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63