Re: [LUG] Scam emails

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:07:43 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you are going to attempt to run from a shell surely you would be
> betted off opening it in a text editor and seeing what it is going to
> do,  I think a few of these attachments must have some sort of webby
> type script in them as some seem to grab your address book for example
> or connect to a remote host or so I have read.
>
> If you have web mail (IMAP) maybe  worth booting a live cd,  then
> looking at the e-mail with that,  maybe even open in a text editor and
> putting the contents somewhere so people here can have a look,
>
> If nothing else we may learn something about what these people are
> trying to do.
>
> Paul

I don't use web mail, though I do use IMAP. I just wondered if it would
be not too disastrous if I were silly enough (or had a senior moment) to
click on one of these attachments. Luckily we don't get many. Apart
from the ones mentioned I get some supposedly from Amazon about orders
I have not made, and of course some from banks (never the right one)
and about my facebook account, which I don't have.

Mostly they are easy to spot. Perhaps others on the list get lots too.

Neil