[LUG] NFS exports and network accounts

Hi

Setting up an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server aiming to get to grips with sharing NFS data to a few clients. Followed some examples on the net I can mount the export shares.
What I'd really like to know is any good advise or web links to help with setting up access permissions for accounts not on the Linux Server. I could make local accounts on the server and make this really easy. The reason I'm not doing this is to understand how the server can work with LDAP or Open LDAP. Some people I have spoken to already suggest mapping UID's is quite important. So before I go diving in any pointers from those who have done this kind of Server to Client config successfully, be good to hear from you.

Kind Regards

Matt