Re: [LUG] Server problem

Yes you'll find that your ISP will allow customers using it's service on it's own IP range to generally send emails (sometimes you might find that it blocks unrecognised domains).

If you want to send mail from your laptop on a different ISP you could:

1. Configure your outgoing smtp to use your domain hosts smtp server (which will probably require some sort of user authentication with a password and maybe even TLS or SSL encryption).

2. Configure your laptop to send mail directly (I'd guess setting up exim on your laptop) but then you'd need to secure it to only allow sending from localhost or 127.0.0.1 so only your laptop can send mails, so probably more hassle than it's worth to setup. Plus some IPs might be blacklisted by some mail servers.

3. Configure a machine at home to act as a mail server to send mail via your home ISP's smtp server and have your laptop connect either via a VPN to your home network or forward ports for smtp (but again setup some sort of authentication such as TLS and require a username and password to send mail).

Personally I'd go for option 1. Just requires you to maybe check the FAQs on your web hosts support pages or contact their support for the settings, they should be able to provide them for the most common mail clients, or failing that give you some genetic settings (such as server host name, port, authentication type etc).

Rob