Re: [LUG] [OT] Simple peer-to-peer web censorship avoidance

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 06:14:12PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> It's unclear whether your friend (the exit node of your proxy) has to
> approve every site, in which case you've now got a new censor - or whether
> they act as a dumb tunnel.

Probably a dumb tunnel - though of course, since your friend controls
the Internet connection, they can still censor it if they feel like.

> The risks of abuse to letting even a friend use
> your internet connection are huge and I doubt I need to spell them out here
> of all places.  I'd rather my front door stayed intact and not smashed down
> by the anti-terorist / anti-drug / anti-hacking /  anti-abuse /
> anti-pedofile police because my IP had been associated with same.
>
> Yes, you might successfully argue that it was somebody else, but not until
> all your IT equipment had been siezed and analysed for months and in the
> last of my suggested cases, your life ruined.

It doesn't sound any different than having a visiting friend use your
wireless network.

Your friend would have to be pretty stupid to do something that could
get you in trouble - because it wouldn't take long before the trail
would lead to them.

Also, they are your friend.

> I'll leave being a proxy exit node to organisations with more political
> will than myself. I don't think Google can act as one given it operates in
> America and is subject to their laws.

Google doesn't operate the proxy exit node. There merely provide the
extension that lets you use your friend's connection as a proxy exit
node. The whole idea of it being peer-to-peer is that it doesn't even go
through Google's servers.

Martijn.