Re: [LUG] Fwd: VIDEO: Coding push for primary pupils

Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23/01/14 16:54, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 23/01/14 16:43, Julian Hall wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: VIDEO: Coding push for primary pupils
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:56:22 GMT
From: <BBC News - Technology>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25851739

VIDEO: Coding push for primary pupils 'From September, every child in
England will have to learn computer coding.'

While I applaud the intent to increase the knowledge of coding, I
question the mandatory nature. Some children simply don't want to go
into IT, and will never want to; enforcing this kind of thing,
especially at primary level is, in my opinion, a waste of the limited
resources the education system has. By all means give them a taster
so those who are attracted to it can pursue it if they want to, but
forcing children to do something is the best way to push them away
from it.

Julian

On the other hand, they are being taught that computer programs are a
sequence of steps, and problems can be broken down in to smaller tasks,
surely this principle can be applied to many areas. I am sure there
are some useful skills being taught here.

Paul

Fair point Paul, and it teaches them to approach a task logically - I
hope so anyway.

Julian

Make it fun and I'm sure they'll be a bit more interested, like teaching the fundamentals of coding without coding.

Rob
--
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum