Re: [LUG] Ethernet over 100 metres

Hi Rob,

You are quite right in stating that the official
limit is 100 meters.
The biggest run I have installed is
about 90 meters, house to shed,
and it works fine at 100
mbit, with mains-powered switches both ends.
Sorry, no
experience of POE systems.

I think you are worrying
unnecessarily as to whether fibre could be used.
My
experience of these things is that the cores themselves are
fairly
fragile, but protected by a tough-as-old-boots
sheathing system. Get the
glanding right, and you
shouldn't have a problem.

Biggest problem is to decide on
methacrylate fibre (pro=easy termination,
con=lossy) or a
plastic-clad silica fibre (pro=less lossy, con=more
fiddly
termination).

Happy experimenting!

Regards etc,
Ray.

21/01/2014 16:51
>To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: [LUG]
Ethernet over 100 metres

>Hi folks,
>
>We're looking at
running an Ethernet to link two buildings which are
>quite
a distance apart (around 220 metres, possibly around 230
metres
>maybe).
>
>Now I understand that the official
limit on length of CAT5 is 100
>metres, however I'm
wondering if anyone has pushed the length any further?

>The thought I had was to run CAT5 to a waterproof box just
under half
>way, in there have a 10/100 switch powered by
POE, and run the rest of
>the cable to the other location
(this might be about 130 metres).  I'm
>not sure if
putting another switch on the cable run (again POE
powered)
>would be an option due to it being outside (it
could be tampered with,
>or eaten by a horse).
>
>Other
than Ethernet (and wireless which probably won't work due
to line
>of sight issues), what other options might we
have?

>I've even considered 10Base2 coax cabling (is it
still available?) or
>Thick Ethernet? (only ever seen that
once at school back in the 90s,
>again is that still
available?  Can it go faster than 10Mbit?)  Or...
>okay,
maybe I'm verging on crazy now... Token ring?

>Fibre was
considered but I'm not sure if it would be too fragile to
run.

>I think ideally it would be nice to have 100mbit,
but we could probably