Re: [LUG] DVD drive and Mint 16

On 08/01/14 19:23, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I can hear a couple of heads hitting desks already with that subject
> line :)  However, it's not a /major/ problem, just an irritation. The
> situation now is that Mint 16 will recognise when any disk is inserted
> and automount the drive.  However what it will /not/ then do is actually
> /play/ all disks.  For example, Avengers Assemble is recognised when it
> is inserted, but when I attempt to play it in VLC Player it just closes
> with no message - although previously it did throw up an Ubuntu error
> which I don't now remember as it's not doing it anymore.  I'm going to
> experiment with different movies from different manufacturers and movie
> companies to see if there is any common factor, i.e. all DVDs from the
> same company refusing to play.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Whilst VLC is an excellent piece of software, as you're on Linux, it
might be worth trying a different player. Every now and then VLC does
behave a bit strangely.

My weapon of choice is mplayer2, which for complex reasons (mostly
involving my anime addiction and the need for true 10-bit support, etc)
I compile myself from github. You could get away with:

sudo apt-get install mplayer2 smplayer

Which will install a decent, up-to-date version and the graphical
frontend. It does have more options than you can shake a stick at so
it's worth having a quick poke around in the preferences. It will also
play back disks, streams and just about every file format you can ever
think of.

You could also get VLC to spit out more meaningful error messages if you
launch it from the console:

vlc /path/to/file

Sorry, off the top of my head I'm not actually sure what the syntax is
to open a disk rather than a file with VLC.

It's probably worth also doing:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss libdvdread4 libdvdnav4

Just to make sure.

Cheers