[LUG] OT: Virginmedia Superhub - Modem Only

Hi All,

Just thought this may be of interest as some list members may be on Virgin. A friend of mine recently told me that Virgin download the config of your Superhub from your network, which not only contains your WiFi password etc but also the MAC addresses of any equipment you have configured. If this is true then I consider it a significant security breach. This /may/ be to see if you are complying with their Ts and Cs which I believe state you can only have a maximum of three devices attached to your network, either way if it /is/ true - and apparently it's mentioned in several forums - it's unacceptable.

Even if it is /not/ true, the Superhub is known to have poor WiFi performance. As a result I decided to put my old Edimax router back into use. From this point I /may/ be teaching granny to suck eggs but I thought it worth mentioning just in case.

My NAS has a fixed IP - on the Virginmedia range - and various bits of kit are configured to point to it, also frankly I forgot to change it. Anyway, I put the Superhub into Modem Mode and plugged the router into the correct port. After a bit of a false start requiring a couple of reboots of everything it seemed to be working but I couldn't see the NAS, and then the penny dropped. The fix was comparitively simple - and if I had done everything in the right order would have worked first time. In a nutshell I changed the base IP range of the Edimax from 192.168.2.* to the Virginmedia standard 192.168.0.* and after a reboot could see the NAS and everything works. So for those who may not know, the correct order I should have used is:

i) Connect router direct to PC - or laptop if you have one handy.
ii) Change base IP range of router to the Virginmedia standard (or if another ISP to theirs).
iii) Setup all your network config, SSID, any MAC filtering rules etc.
iv) Disable Wifi on ISP router to avoid conflicts.
v) Put ISP router into modem only mode.
vi) Connect router WAN port to port specified by ISP (for Virgin it's the port next to the cable carrying the incoming signal.

Reboot everything and you should have an identical network to the previous setup as regards IP range and device addresses. The only difference should be the Internet access comes from the ISP modem and you have better WiFi performance.

Kind regards,

Julian