Re: [LUG] Problems with windoze 8 dual boot

sorry to stick my two penny worth in,but why in gods name would any one use windows 8 its complete and utter "£$%,i have had so many people paying me to convert there laptops back to 7. still plugging away at getting them to try zorin,ive had a couple of successes which always leaves a nice glowing feeling.
rant over :)

-----Original Message----- From: Tom
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:02 PM
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Problems with windoze 8 dual boot

On 02/01/14 17:58, bad apple wrote:
On 01/01/14 12:01, aaron moore wrote:
Hi and happy new year.
I haven't read any posts for a while so I have probably missed useful info, however.... Can any one help with installing Ubuntu 12.10 on a new laptop with this UEFI bios thing. I have googled and googled and tried and tried, but have failed. Problems include:

Ubuntu does not see Windoze as OS
Boot laoder does not work.
I think ubuntu is installed but I can't run her.

What has Mr Gates done?

Tia
Aaron

Dual booting can definitely be done (I've done several already) but when
you add all the following things together:

Laptop with one hard drive
UEFI+secureboot
Windows 8/8.1 (particularly 64bit)
Ubuntu
Dual boot

Then things can definitely get a bit hairy. Fun fact: the officially
released Win8.1 image from Microsoft is broken out of the box for 64bit
installs on UEFI/secureboot systems. I wish I was joking, but you'll
need to doctor the image, extract a certain file from a *.cab deep in
the installer, copy it to the /EFI/boot directory, rename it to a
different file and overwrite the original, re-assemble the ISO and then
transfer it to a USB drive. Reason being, in the Win8.1 Pro release, the
key part of the EFI bootloader is 32bit only and will instantly fail on
a 64bit system. Genius!

So getting this to all work together is a massive pain in the ass. Of
course, if you're using Win7 instead of 8 things become a lot easier.
You can also save yourself a lot of work by disabling full
UEFI+secureboot and falling back to legacy BIOS mode, in which case
everything should start working just as you remember it always doing
*but* you will lose all the not-inconsiderable benefits of a modern
signed boot loader.

If you tell us (well, probably me really: most everyone else on the list
seems to regard anything MS related and UEFI as the work of the devil)
exactly what you want to do and what you're using then we'll get
started. I assure you this is all possible.

1: Laptop make and model
2: Windows version and revision (8, 8.1, 7, Pro, Home, etc)
3: Ubuntu version (or any other linux you want to use)
4: Current and desired settings of the UEFI/EFI
5: 64 or 32 bit

That's enough to get started. If you are using Win8/8.1 there are
additional steps you will have to take to modify Windows post-install -
it no longer just shuts down when you tell it to, it's actually doing a
special kind of hybrid hibernate/resume and this is known to interfere
badly with a dual booting Linux/BSD system, especially if they are
sharing a single disk as in a laptop situation.

Regards

PS: one source for the Win8.1/64bit image debacle:

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-make-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-8/?ModPagespeed=noscript

Please keep us involved so we  know how to exorcise the work of the
devil - which is handy for upgrading Tom Toms and ....
Tom te tom te tom