Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux / Home Server / NAS

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 08:20:07PM +0000, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> On 24 December 2013 11:40, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For many the default choice for this would be an HP microserver. Cheap
> > (often under £100 with hdd + ram with cashback offers), reliable, well
> > built, linux compatible - lot to be said for them and I wouldn't argue
> > against it.
>
> Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at a N40L and loading
> FreeNAS. Any thoughts please?

Been following this thread with interest. One of my tasks that I have been
meaning to do for sometime now is local backup of data both local and from
offsite

I was looking at NAS and met someone the other day who pointed me to the
Western Digital Cloud service see
-
http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2013/10/10/review_western_digital_my_cloud_2tb_nas/
-   http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=211&lang=en

But the more I think about it, the less clear I am about what advantages it
has, apart from an app on android for access to your home server but I
think I can get this on a non rooted phone with eg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crystalnix.gloria

Any suggestions? Any thoughts?

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately