Re: [LUG] bt line check

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, Tom wrote:

Having trouble with my BB - the modems connected at 2144/448kbps but the speed test wont get me more than 24kBs When I go to the line test it returns instantly saying no problems. Too fast to do a check I'm sure.
I've just run it again it seems to be doing something now.

If you have access to a hosted server, try fetching a file using wget - e.g. a 10MB file of random numbers. e.g.

gordon @ yakko: wget -O/dev/null lion.drogon.net/testfile
--2013-11-19 11:12:33--  http://lion.drogon.net/testfile
Resolving lion.drogon.net (lion.drogon.net)... 195.10.226.167
Connecting to lion.drogon.net (lion.drogon.net)|195.10.226.167|:80... connected.
Length: 10485760 (10M) [text/plain]
Saving to: `/dev/null'

 10,485,760  1.52M/s   in 6.7s
2013-11-19 11:12:40 (1.49 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [10485760/10485760]

(Remember wget is BYTEs/sec not bits)

If you think its the phone line, the first thing you must do (and your service provider will tell you to do this too) is unplug *everything* from the master socket. Modem, phones, all internal wiring, the lot.

the you connect a known good phone to the test socket (that's the one inside the faceplate - you need to unscrew and remove the faceplate to get to it) and dial the BT test number: 17070. Listen to digital dot, but most likely you want the quiet line test.

If you hear noise on that one, then you need to get the person you pay line rental to to check the line and get them to get BT OpenReach to fix the line.

Good luck!

Gordon