Re: [LUG] [ExeterLUG] Raspberry PI cluster project

On 05/11/13 17:44, Malcolm Dinsmore wrote:
> Hi Paul and everyone else interested!
>
> Thanks for your interest in the raspberry pi cluster project.
>
> I suggested this project and I've been working out how to do it over
> the last few weeks.
>
> I've got a small cluster working and have an SD card image with arch
> Linux (because it's a minimalist installation without X etc) and the
> mpich software configured.  I've also written some config scripts that
> can be used to upload rsa keys, programs, etc.
>
> My original plan was to get people to bring along a raspberry pi /
> power supply / blank SD card / net cable this Friday so we could have
> a go at building a bigger cluster.
>
> However, with the equipment problems we encountered last Saturday at
> The Ark Nursery, the plan for this Friday is to continue the work at
> the ark, so we'll have to do the raspberry pi cluster experiment at a
> later date.
>
> The extra time will perhaps give me the opportunity to look more
> deeply into the programming aspects and perhaps I can do a short
> presentation on how to write a program for the cluster.
>
> By the way, I've run a Monte Carlo method pi calculation program
> (using 10^7 points) on the cluster and the results are:
>
> 1 raspberry pi node  : ~19 seconds
> 2 raspberry pi nodes: ~9 seconds (1/2 time for 1 pi)
> 3 raspberry pi nodes: ~6 seconds (1/3 time for 1 pi)
>
> I guess we can see a pattern emerging...
>
> Obviously 10^7 points is just so I could test it quickly with the
> three raspi nodes I have access to.  We need to increase the number of
> points for a larger cluster.
>
> Hope that helps bring you up to date...
>
> Malcolm

Is this something we can do at a raspberry PI jam ?   maybe if we ask
Simon Belshaw, he can let people know this is the plan,  a group in a
corner could grab 1 monitor,  switch and other bits,  and we can have a
go. We could even do this at a later Torbay pi Jam too (hopefully).

I know at least one of the young people on the Monday computer group in
Paignton tried this,  but we ran out of term time,  so I am sure there
are a few more out there that would be interesting.

I think from the figures above,  it can be seen that for each pi added
it takes less time. so once configures i guess you could start with 1
pi,  and run,  then add a 2nd and run,  and add more and more pis.

Then perhaps work on something more complex such as the ideas Gordon
suggested,  graphics (ray tracing)

Would be interesting to compare results with this

http://www.parallella.org/

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Exeter Raspberry PI Jam 23rd November - http://dcglug.drogon.net/meetings/
Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 14th December - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.