[LUG] OT: Antivirus Security Pro - Ransomware

Hi All,

This one only affects Windows users but I thought I'd pass on the tale anyway, as the same distribution method could work on any OS.

Two days ago a friend asked for help on Facebook with the above virus, and to cut a long story short we managed to eradicate it with no damage done. However the method of distribution was - at lest in part - new to me so I thought I'd pass it on.

I know that any image link on a webpage can link to a drive-by download, that's not the new part. What /is/ new to me is that she got it from an Ebay auction page - that much is established as she hadn't done anything else on the web when the infection announced itself. That I think is a bit of a worry as you can go to a perfectly well trusted - and very popular - website, click on an auction and simply by viewing it end up with a virus.

If any of you do happen to know anyone who gets this virus, the method we used was the first one on this page, although it's entirely possible the other two may be needed if it's stubborn.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/antivirus-security-pro-removal/

Kind regards,

Julian