Re: [LUG] Dissent accountable anonymous group communication

On 31/08/13 12:40, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Better than TOR?
>
> http://dedis.cs.yale.edu/2010/anon/
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

No. Technically, it may well be, but this is a high-brow PhD research
level academic exercise - it's going to be miles beyond the reach of all
but the most technical types. I'm cloning it from git as we speak to
attempt to get it running, but I'm anticipating build issues and then
there's the fact where once it's up, I'll be in an elite global
community of 4 users. You also have to manually edit up your confs,
*distribute* them and generate/distribute your own keypairs - this is
going to get real messy, real fast.

Tor has over 1.2 million daily users currently, and any moron can
download the Tor Browser bundle or the PirateBrowser onto Windows and be
up and running in seconds.

Who knows, in a couple of years they may have cleaned up the code, have
easy installers for every OS, a great help page and millions of users -
I hope so, 'cos choice is nice. But we both know the chance of that,
considering these are Yale/Austin PhD students, is non-existent (the
authors will all get their PhDs and be snapped up as highly paid quants
by life-sucking HFT firms).

Also, they've failed at the first hurdle (I've tried 4 times over the
last couple of hours):

ghost@failbot:~/SRC$ git clone https://github.com/DeDiS/Dissent.git
Cloning into 'Dissent'...
remote: Counting objects: 168176, done.
error: RPC failed; result=18, HTTP code = 2006 MiB | 390 KiB/s
fatal: early EOF
fatal: recursion detected in die handler

Whoops, someone hasn't set httpPostbuffer correctly...

So, no. This is a damn poor show.

Regards