Re: [LUG] Exeter BSOD Problem

Id happily go along and help

On Aug 29, 2013 4:31 PM, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 29/08/13 14:45, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

Anybody in Exeter with a live CD of Ubuntu. I have a mate whose laptop is
on a constant cycle after getting a bsod error message. Stop error code
0x00000051

I suggested using Ubuntu to boot the laptop, recover data and then look at
a system restore. Someone else might have better advice but he is in Exeter.

His name is Huw Hadden no. 07912 614616.

Thanks Guys.

He'd be better off booting his install media (presuming windows is installed because of your mention of BSOD), choosing repair mode, and running chkdisk and/or automatic repair.

If he doesn't have an install CD/DVD, get UBCD from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and do it with that.

All usual warnings about stressing a potentially dying hard drive without taking a full image first should also be mentioned here.

Dare I ask if there is a backup strategy of any kind for the laptop in question?

Regards