Re: [LUG] which is better? (more secure)

Did I mention that I also picked up a Cisco Aironet 1100 series WAP =)

On 21 August 2013 21:53, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 21/08/13 21:28, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Cisco 800 series
>
> Vendor/N:92.0632.01 REV 1
>
> (product contains cryptographic features and is subject to US and local
> laws governing import export transfer and use.) prime x prime
>
> is that what you're after?!

Not quite, but the pics in the other link quickly revealed it's a 837 -
the 800 series comprises of well over 20 different units, even more when
you take in all the different versions for different countries and
Cisco's annoying habit of producing everything in "so called
professional and insanely overpriced" and "exactly the same hardware
with a different name/box and most of the good features artificially
crippled SOHO version" models. Yours is a prime example - otherwise
known as the SOHO 97 you've luckily got the better version, but sadly,
it's not exactly top-end Cisco. By a long way.

The good news? It does run IOS (other network admins might be shuddering
at that - this is only "good news" for certain values of "good") and has
a proper management feature. The bad news? As I predicted, those stupid
morons at Cisco don't want you going anywhere near it so you'll have to
get hold of a custom Cisco RJ45>DB9 cable to talk to it natively. It
does also support a standard web interface for configuring it, once
you've completely factory reset it (defaults to 10.10.10.1 for some
reason).

It's relatively unlikely that you'll be able to get it functioning as an
ADSL modem/router on your connection without heroic efforts - your ISP
are unlikely to release the technical information you require to
configure it (VPI/VCI, PPoA vs PPoE, etc) although as a smart lad, you'd
probably be able to work it out from online forums and do it any way,
just to spite them (I do this a lot). It will be a gigantic headache
though, trust me on this. Really, you're probably best off
congratulating yourself that you've got your hands on a working bit of
Cisco gear that actually runs IOS, so keep it to hand and when you're
really in the mood for punishment, you can have a play with what is most
definitely a "big boy's toy". IOS/NX-OS skills can be *really* valuable.

What about the blade then? That's probably the best bit of kit you've
found so far.

Cheers