Re: [LUG] Samsung Galaxy phone

On 10.08.2013 21:48, lhs47crewe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks, as long as I can read the sd card without removing from the phone I would be happy. With my blackberrys the sd card just appears as an external drive, I just wondered why the same did not happen with an android device.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

I install the app AndFtp (from the play store) on the phone and just use
SSH to swap files. USB debugging is good to turn on, and my Mint 9 just
works when connected but as a Camera type so it opens up FSpot. Fedora
14 just does nothing.
On my old galaxy tab it would simply connect as a USB device giving access to everything after you'd OK'd it.

But with my new Nexus/Android 4.3 plugging it in just as USB only gives access to the photo directory. However when you're asked to OK the connection one of the options you're offered is MTP and this will give you read/write access to everything if you select it.

Unfortunately I think MTP support is very new in linux, certainly the latest KDE/Dolphin supports it. I have Kubunbtu 13.04 and I seem to recall this functionality may only have appeared after an update.Here are a couple of links, but for many new distros the stuff about mounting on the command line is obsolete and it'll "just work" (Dolphin even gives me a nice icon of a phone). So a bit of a google might show you that an updated version of your file manager might do the trick.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1185
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/use-android-mtp-on-linux/

If you need to turn on developer options google it, as it ain't obvious as you have to tap some option 8 times in the settings menu to get the developer options to initially appear, but I don't think you need this.

This said Airdroid, (as already mentioned,Play Store - free), is a really great app. This connects to your PC via the wifi network, (all local so its not routed through some server located in The Evil Empire, though I'm sure Pan
zły jabłko will have screaming heebeejebies :-) ). Then you connect via your browser and can transfer, backup, write txt msgs, manage your contacts etc. A very neat and useful app!