[LUG] Thunderbolt and Lightning

Hello,

Well, I didn't move fast enough when that thunderstorm hit this
evening.  I failed to unplug the 'phone cable and heard two, or perhaps
three, things go 'bang'.   :-(

Ethernet port on mobo;          Dead
Ethernet port 1 on router;      Dead
Ethernet port 2 on switch;      Dead
Printer/Fax/Scanner;            Dead
Microfilter;                    Dead

The worst of it is, the printer is brand new.   :-(

As luck would have it, I had a spare ethernet card and microfilter to
hand.  Also, as not all the ports on the ethernet switch were in use, I
could re-cable things to bypass the dead port issues on router and
switch.  So, after about an hour we're back up and running.

It was only by chance that I found there was a problem with the
microfilter.  A mate rang(1), and got no answer, so rung my mobile.
Having said I was at home, and the 'phone hadn't rung all evening, I
tried to dial out, but got no dial tone.  The ADSL side was still
working, so I didn't think to check the 'phone.

(1) Yes, I've got a friend:  He's the best one money can buy.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Only the wounded remain, the generals have all left the game