Re: [LUG] Kindle, DRM and Linux

On 2.08.2013 10:41, tom wrote:
On 01/08/13 21:19, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
On 1.08.2013 21:22, George Parker wrote:

yes I tried calibre and the de-drm plugins under linux and could not get them to work. For a start the kindle reader for PC is needed and I couldn't get it to run under wine (regular or crossover office). My solution is also a virtual machine, the only thing I use windows for.
With a vm you can easily copy (capture) drm'ed video, I wonder how hard it would be to create a script that would do the same for ebooks - while(next button not greyed){capture image,ocr image,append, click next button}

I have the kindle reader and calibre with plugins installed on virtual box. Calibre's library directory is a shared folder with my linux install of calibre, "home/whoever/Calibre library". So once the book is imported into calibre I shut down windows, open the linux version and there are my books.

Are you importing your books direct from the kindle? Can your file manager actually "see" the relevant bits of the android file system?

Of course you could turn your kindles into ordinary android tablets, which would give you a greater choice of readers, aldiko is good. There are a few solutions out there for this and it's easy to convert back to being a kindle again if you decide it's not for you.

With a vm you can easily copy (capture) drm'ed video, I wonder how hard it would be to create a script that would do the same for ebooks - while(next button not greyed){capture image,ocr image,append, click next button}

Sounds complicated and if OCR is involved probably unreadable. I'm not sure I understand were the text stream is coming from, between the kindle for PC and the screen or the cloud reader and screen?

If you mean making e-books out of newspaper websites rand the like then calibre already can do this with plugins it calls recipes (python and there is a guide to building your own). For me the London Review of Books recipe is great as it allows one to enter the subscription name and password for the full version and I then get the whole sheebang as an epub.Unless the script also turns the page automagicaly you might as well copy and paste the thing into libre office and then export to pdf. I have probably misunderstood what you mean, sorry.

The only reason I have the kindle for PC is to have books sent to it, not to read them, which I do using kindle for android on my tab or on an old sony reader after calibre does its stuff. Once a book is imported from c:\...\My Kindle Content to /home/.../Calibre Library all is good.

My mother has a kindle, it's great for her as she only wants to read or use iPlayer. But I can see no big difference between the amazon android kindle version and the kindle, kindle versions of the reader - except as an android tab you have easy access to other e-readers and all the other play store apps. Like I said aldiko is good, a nicer read for azw3's converted to epub and syncs with dropbox.

Dolphin now supports MTC. Before with the tab plugged in as a USB device the only accessible bit of the file system seemed to be photo's (android 4.2/3), so calibre couldn't import them. So I might look again at grabbing things directly from the tab to calibre under linux.