Re: [LUG] Experts vs Open to All

Twenty years ago I was in my early 40s and was a staff rep. I would sometimes spend hours explaining concilliation procedures or the whys and wherefores of new jobs or new arrangements. I would find that thebiggest problem was with the 60 somethings who ask some question where the answer had been given already, you would repeat the answer to them and then they would ask exactly the same question again as it you had not answered the question in the first place. I used end up feeling as if I was battering my head against a brick wall. Twent years later and I am 60 something and in the same boat as those 60 somethings were twenty years ago, quite simply what happens is that has you get older things don't sink in quite as well as they did.

Lena

From: James Kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, 30 July 2013, 9:13
Subject: Re: [LUG] Experts vs Open to All

On 29/07/13 00:02, Julian Hall wrote:

> [1] The gent who was told by a colleague to right click on the mouse,
> and did so with a pen - 'write 'click'' - is an exception. Sadly that
> is not apocryphal.

My wife looks after the social media side of her charity's web site. She
wanted to keep someone on as a moderator when he could not get something
to work. He was told by someone else to try "clearing your cache" or
"another browser". He asked her what a browser was. She easily and
patiently explained that Firefox ..... Apparently he had heard of
Firefox and had even seen it in use, but did not know the term
"browser". He is a very good moderator and in another role, essential to
keep onside. It was never a problem for her to give such a basic
explanation. As a former teacher, I believe there is never any silly
question, only a learning opportunity, and pleasure in helping someone
learn, especially about learning how to learn for themselves. Motivation
to learn is precious and can easily be damaged so needs nurturing. Best
to let someone else answer anything we dislike.