Re: [LUG] Experts vs Open to All

On 29/07/13 08:15, L Smith wrote:
> To me linux is simply something that allows me to use my computer and I know very
> little about it other than bu using it I have less problems using linux than I
> have with Windows. Basically I am too old and stupid to learn much and I find that
> reading this forum and sometimes asking questions does help me. A month or so back
> I had a run of problems with image files and using picasa that was causing my
> linux computers to crash, a problem that did not happen on Windows, I did ask for
> advice here and whilst I did not advice from that directly helped solve the
> problem the "keep the faith" comments did help me to try to find an answer. In th
> end the answer came down to files from one of the cameras I was using, the answer
> was to stop using that particular camera(an individual Canon SX40), ditch it and
> remove its files from my computer which I did .. Problem solved.
>
> So I am still here, still using Linux and picasa on this computer and the
> "Windows" laptop is hiding away unused, simply waiting for the very rare moments
> when I remove my backup usb hard drives without remembering to unmount them and
> have to tun a disk chech via windows to do the "magic" on them. (Now if I could
> solve that particular problem using linux I would have no need for the "Windows"
> laptop).
>

> So I say please leave things as they are now, open for all, perhaps simpletons
> like me who are using Linux are rare, but we do exist and we are grateful for all
> the help that forums like this offer.
>

> Lena

Try using "sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/sdXY", where "X" and "Y" are your USB
hard drive's allocated letter and partition (for example, /dev/sdb1).

If you get "command not found" or similar, install the ntfsprogs package
via your favourite package manager.

If you're not sure what the allocation for your USB drive is, plug it in
first and then issue "mount" and have a look through the entries, it
should be pretty obvious which one is your external disk.

ntfsfix here will simply attempt to clear the dirty flag on your NTFS
volume, and it doesn't always work for everyone apparently (has done for
me though).

Windows will automatically clear a dirty volume flag after *two* full
reboots and shutdowns unless the volume is genuinely damaged, in which
case you'll need to do a full chkdsk.

Cheers