Re: [LUG] [OT] "The Net is finished as a global network"

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Philip Hudson wrote:
http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/2013/jul/28/edward-snowden-death-of-internet

Good piece - and good to see someone point out that all the human interest stuff on Snowden distracts from the real story.

But the author does seem a bit naive when he suggests that pre-Snowden we didn't know what was going on. Snowden revealed the scale of the project, as well as some operational details, but it was not a secret that the NSA had the ability to read your emails, and could do so without you being notified.

It also has a bit of an anti-US sentiment, which I don't think is helpful in making the case that surveillance is bad in itself. (If you don't like a certain country, it's obvious that you don't want their secret service spying on you.

Martijn.