Re: [LUG] wodim v Brasero

On 18/07/13 14:47, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Any opinions?
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

Yeah; cdrecord (compiled from the source to get a "clean" version).

Wodim (forked from an earlier version of cdrecord) and cdrecord itself
have both historically had problems with correctly handling things like
dual layer DVDs and even following redbook standards properly (google
for many, many bug reports). It's not uncommon to have to master your
image *very* carefully first with mkisofs before burning.

One thing I have learned from this discussion - I thought it was just me
who didn't like Brasero much. Turns out that everyone seems to have had
problems with it at one point or another so I think we can conclude that
it royally sucks.

I'm surprised that there is so much evidence of burning disks in the
first place - I certainly understand Neil needing to burn a disc for the
wedding, and I think that's the last time I burnt a CD myself as well,
for a friend's wedding... 5 years ago. How come you're all burning disks
so much? That's yesterday's technology. I don't even own a laptop with
an optical drive anymore. I don't drive, but the missus' boring, low-end
several years old little hatchback came with a stereo with a 3.5mm input
jack, iPod/Phone connectivity and bluetooth (I only mention this because
I know several of my friends only burn CDs to play in their car stereos
these days).

It was so nice to throw out several huge piles of optical disks and
replace them with a large handful of USB drives.

Regards