Re: [LUG] Mint 13 & 14 and Picasa .. problems solved sort of

On 08/07/13 22:38, Simon Avery wrote:
Random thought... Is the date set correctly on your Canon?

I recently had reason to backtrack on some code I did when I found that when I used EXIF date fields to establish the time of the picture, in some cases the dates given were several years older than the horse being photographed, and that data is pretty much worthless.

Seems unlikely that picasa wouldn't gracefully handle incorrect exif fields, but it might?

A quick google says that Picasa is know to crash when importing AVI's from a Canon, but it could also be something like a corrupted memory card. Might be worth reformatting them once you have your pics off, or even trying another if you have one. Also read the card through a card reader rather than the camera?

If it sounds like I'm grasping at straws, I am a bit, but you never know, one of those straws might help!

If picasa is know to crash on files from Canon I would imagine its Canon at fault. You may find that cleaning your jpegs through a filter may help - a script that loads the images for processing and then just saves them in another directory may clean them of the garbage Canon has put in.
Tom te tom te tom