Re: [LUG] Mint 13 & 14 and Picasa .. problems yet again

The problem is stranger than I thought, and appears to have nothing to do with picasa and mint, Picasa seems to have a dislike for images from my Canon SX40 camera, As soon as I deleted a folder containing images from the Canon SX40 the problem vanished?

From: bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 8 July 2013, 3:33
Subject: Re: [LUG] Mint 13 & 14 and Picasa .. problems yet again

On 07/07/13 22:22, L Smith wrote:
> The machine is a circa 2007 HP 6720s laptop with 2 gig of memory. Picasa will run hapily for two or three weeks and then causes the machine to lock up for no apparent reason. Third time it has happened and I am now fed up and thinking (after 5 years) of going back to windows xp. Please don't suggest usig gimp as I am too much of a simpleton to use it.
>
> Is there any way of solving this problem, I never had these issues with versions earlier than Mint 13.

There are a few obvious issues here.

1: Upgrade your OS. Mint 15 is available now.
2: Are you really willing to switch from Linux to XP over Picasa?
3: Windows XP will be retired in less than one year.
4: Maybe you've seen in the news recently that Google suck.

Unless you're willing to roll your sleeves up, enable some kernel flags
and start posting us (and the relevant devs) crash dump logs I'd say you
want to first upgrade, and then evaluate some different programs. I'm
guessing that you don't just use Picasa as a dumb photo library as you
seem quite attached to it: indeed, some of the simple editing functions
are pretty handy. I don't really have any experience in this area
(working in professional print/design shops for years I'm used to Adobe
Bridge by default) for consumer level red-eye correction, image rotation
and the like... anyone else want to chime in with suggestions? Shotwell
does pretty similar stuff I think.

Two further points: you may be hesitating about upgrading your Mint
version as it's not "officially" supported: I do this all the time via
the usual simple trick of sed'ing /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect the
updated repo names and doing apt-get dist-upgrade afterwards. Just make
sure your important data is backed up first and give it a go, it's
vanishingly unlikely it's going to destroy your box. Caveat emptor, etc,
etc. Second, remember that if you migrate your modified image library
away from Picasa, that all the changes you have made to the originals
(cropping, re-alignment, etc) have only been stored in metadata fashion
as diffs against the originals, meaning if you just backup the raw
original directories you're going to lose all the modifications you've
made. I run into this all the time recovering client's machines where
they've tried to migrate between Picasa/Windows Live Photos (*barf*) and
other best-left-unmentioned crapware. So, export your library correctly
first if you decide to move programs, or there will be tears.

Regards